Monday, January 28, 2008

Jobs, Interns...bluekk...=P

Dilemma: SUMMER INTERN NEEDED!!!!

I was struck with this problem since I decided I wanted to get an internship last semester. However, the problem has improved in the sense that from don't have any jobs on the list to a couple of jobs on the platter but now I don't know which one to apply for.

I was wavering between applying the summer research program for undergraduates program in Yale's (unpaid and in the same boring Cognitive and/or Developmental Psychology) or applying for summer UROP (which should be interesting, and I get paid though not so much) with the former adviser of the PhD guy in Educational Psychology that I met at the EEG training. Hmmm....???? Or to work as a teaching intern in a school with a special summer program in which I would make more money but the experience is not going to look as nice as a research on my transcript which I would like to submit for grad school application. *Sighs*. Now it is clear. The ultimate question boils down to Interest/Experience or Money?

I tried asking my Counseling Psychology lecturer whether she has any recommendations for internship relating to counselling psychology which is not research based but all she suggested was for me to take the PSY3996-Directed Studies/Internship class and they will give me a list of places. Little does she knows that I already got the list from my adviser but the list is pretty stupid with only company names with one or two lines of description for each. The websites aren't listed, and no further information such as paid/not paid is listed. Not very helpful. But, on the bright side, at least the lecturer said she would mail me a list if she found some suitable ones she could think of. I also asked another friend of mine who is taking that class now how she found the intern. She said through a guest speaker who came to talk in her I/O class and she advised that the best way is through personal connections.

My dad suggested I contact the PhD fellow that I met as it is easiest and best to get a job through connections. Two of the same advice in a day. Ooh, it must be a sign. LOL. I guess they are probably right. I'll just e-mail the man tomorrow to talk about this. As for off-campus /real practical job experience, I think I'll volunteer for 2-3 hours a week in a place (yet to find) as the best psychology work experience is from voluntary jobs =(. Oh well, too bad but life goes on.

No comments:

Shout Box


Free chat widget @ ShoutMix