Sunday, October 24, 2010

Give some space

A 12-hour shift right after vacation...it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. My prayers were answered. I'm grateful!

I kept reminding myself to breathe and be as human as possible and it worked. When a student of mine acted up out of frustration, I paused and gave him some space before I reentered his space and asked him to explain to me what he wanted. As I mindfully gave him space, I felt a rush of calmness in my body. Giving him space also gave me space which prevented me from getting frustrated like before.

On another note, I was tired most of the time and could not wait for my shift to end. It made me wonder how anyone could love doing what they do if it means being tired and stressed from doing them? Do people always return to their purpose? Is that all it takes to drive them through? or are they just more focused on the good sides of things and the stress does not matter? or are they used to the stress and they have accepted things as they are?

Life...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Silvia,
I'm glad you've made up your mind on your academic path for now. Although it might not seem to be the perfect solution, at least the burden of uncertainty in this aspect can be put aside. This weekend, a patient asked me if I liked working in the hospital. Despite all my past complaints, I realized that I could tell him 'Yes' with 100% certainty in my heart and mind. I hope that you will be able to come to terms with your work too :)

As for the other parts of life, everything will fall in place when the time is right. There is no use or good in brooding over them.

On a side note, ever considered joining Millionaire Matchmaker? Patti opened a new office in NY, maybe she'll branch into Boston in the near future ;)

anurad said...

i see...

Sylvia said...

@Constance: Thanks and yea sure, millionaire matchmaker. hahaha.

@Anurad: ?

Shout Box


Free chat widget @ ShoutMix