Thursday, October 28, 2010

Better with perception shift? or better with time?

Things seem to be getting better. I feel good after work today even though it was as challenging as any other day in terms of the students' problem behaviors. I feel like I am managing them and their behaviors with more confidence and neutrality even though I was still very tensed.

I had to drive the van today and I felt nervous especially when I had to lead during the transition back to the residence from the school. I couldn't find the hazard light for when I pulled over to wait for the second van.

Anyways, I met with a senior student from India that HR set up for me to meet with as someone who might be able to help me with my adjustments here as an international student and employee. It was a pleasant meet up; she talked about her experience when she first got here. They placed her in the staff intensive unit and there were many times that she felt like she was going to be fired too. She explained that it is very intense to work here but we get a great opportunity to see how research directly translates to clinical practice and across different age groups and autism severity. She said her view on autism was limited to cute kids but working here has broadened her views. She gave me tips on how I can increase my chance of getting into the day school, preschool, or home-based program next year which includes volunteering to be a back up case manager, getting more involved in the projects in preschool etc.

I'm grateful for the meeting with her. Another good news - my day coordinator told me she is setting me up with a co-worker who has a research role in the team to get me involved in the research project in the team. Yes!

No comments:

Shout Box


Free chat widget @ ShoutMix